I have almost all the materials on hand for my workbench. I am still waiting for my new Benchcrafted Traditional Classic Vise to get here, but I finished surfacing my hard maple end cap that secures the tail vise to the end of the bench. As you can see my shop cat is inspecting my work with aloof approval. It started out as a rough log and now it is surfaced on 4 sides, square and flat 3″x5″x22″ board. As you can also see, the benchtop boards are now acclimating in my shop. I will start laminating them soon.
I was waiting for my “Southern Yellow Pine” SYP lumber to dry some more. I checked them with a moisture meter and it read 10%, that is dry enough to start processing them so I have ripped them to width from 6 2″x12″x6′ boards, down to 12 2″x5.25″x6′ boards that will be used for the legs and stretchers. I still have a LOT of surface planing yet to do on these boards. If I had a power surface planer I would use it. I do have 2 nice joiner hand planes that can do the job, albeit a bit slower and a with a bit more muscle power.
The only parts for the bench I have left to buy are the bolt hardware (used to secure the end cap to the bench) and the chop board for my leg vise. The chop board is going to be a 8/4 x 8″ x 36″ piece of hard maple. I will need to get that at the local lumbar yard. Depending on price, I may also get a 6/4 x 5″ x 6′ hard maple board for the front on the workbench. That will make a stronger front edge that I will be clamping to all the time and also will look nice dovetailed into the end cap.
I know this project is progressing a bit slowly, but I have never built a workbench before and I like to think about projects as I build them so I do not make as many mistakes. This workbench has some complications that have me really putting my engineering hat on. I am loving every minute of it. This bench will serve me well for many, many years and I can’t wait to build my first project on it.